Ureta wins in 4-man playoff

DURHAM - North Carolina sophomore golfer Martin Ureta birdied the fourth playoff hole Monday to win the Duke Golf Classic.

After entering Monday's final round in fifth place and trailing Michigan State's Matt Harmon by six shots, Ureta fired a tournament-low round of 66 to tie Harmon and Duke's Ryan Blaum and Michael Quagliano at a total score of 210.

Ureta birdied the first playoff hole along with Blaum, while pars eliminated Harmon and Quagliano. Ureta then birdied fourth playoff hole to claim the victory.

As a team, UNC finished in second place, 13 shots behind champion Duke with a total score of 873. The team started the day in fifth place, but Ureta's 66 and senior Matt Crenshaw's 68 helped to move the Tar Heels up the leaderboard.

Crenshaw finished at 213, good enough for fifth place overall. UNC's Jonathan Jackson and Reed Darsie finished tied for 13th and 55th, respectively.

UNC athletes receive honors

The ACC announced Monday that three North Carolina athletes received individual player-of-the-week honors - women's soccer midfielder Lori Chalupny, cross country runner Carol Henry and swimmer Lindsey Marck.

Chalupny tallied three points on a goal and an assist in the Tar Heels' 2-1 win against Virginia on Sunday in Chapel Hill.

She assisted on a Sara Randolph goal in the 35th minute to give UNC a 1-0 halftime lead. Chalupny, added her fifth goal of the season, the game-winner, early in the second half as her blast from 12 yards out found the back of the net.

Henry, meanwhile, helped led the UNC cross country team to a third-place finish in the NCAA Pre-National Meet on Saturday.

Her time of 20 minutes, 23.6 seconds in the 6K race placed her second individually in the competition.

And despite the swimming and diving team's 175-125 loss to Georgia, Marck posted four wins and had career-best times in the 100- and 200-yard butterfly events.

She recorded "B Standard" times in both events, swimming a time of 2:00.88 in the 200 butterfly and 54.81 in the 100.

The freshman also helped the Tar Heels to two wins in the 200-yard medley relay and 400-yard freestyle relay.

Coastal division includes UNC

GREENSBORO - North Carolina's football team will compete in the ACC's Coastal division beginning in 2005, ACC Commissioner John Swofford announced Monday.

The other teams in the Coastal division are Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia and Virginia Tech. The Tar Heels will play those five teams annually along with their primary partner, N.C. State, and two rotating conference opponents.

The Wolfpack will participate in the Atlantic division along with Boston College, Clemson, Florida State, Maryland and Wake Forest.

The winners of each division will play in the conference title game following the regular season. In 2005, the inaugural ACC championship game will take place in Jacksonville, Fla., on Dec. 3.