Tar Heels squeak by UVa.

With North Carolina clinging to a one-goal lead, UNC senior Anne Morrell was shoved to the ground in the box by a Virginia defender. Despite protests from the fans, the referee didn't blow his whistle.

Yet, No. 2 North Carolina toughed it out and emerged with a 2-1 victory against No. 4 UVa. at Fetzer Field on Sunday.

The Tar Heels win was no easy accomplishment because UVa. challenged UNC both offensively and defensively the entire game.

"They have talent all over the field, they are well organized, and they are having an absolutely wonderful year," said UNC coach Anson Dorrance. "I'll be completely honest - I am absolutely ecstatic to be standing here after the game with a win against a really fine Virginia side."

The Cavaliers (11-2-1, 3-2-1 in the ACC) played tough defensively and allowed just eight shots.

The Tar Heels (14-0-1, 7-0-0) didn't score until the 34th minute, when junior Kacey White slipped a pass behind a UVa. defender to Sara Randolph, who one-touched the ball into an empty net.

"I made that long run, and Kacey played an absolutely perfect ball through," Randolph said. "And it was kind of slo-mo, thinking, 'If I don't put this in, I'm going to shoot myself.' It was a gimme, one of those that you have to finish for your team."

Randolph's goal lifted the Tar Heels to a 1-0 halftime advantage. But North Carolina couldn't capitalize on its numerous scoring chances again until the second half.

In the 50th minute, UVa. defenders tied up Morrell 30 yards from the goal. She tapped the ball to her right, where Lori Chalupny came streaking through, splitting the defense and setting up a one-on-one with Cavalier goalkeeper Christina de Vries.

Chalupny chipped the ball over the keeper's outstretched hands, giving the Tar Heels the 2-0 lead.

"Lori Chalupny is a dominate force in every single game," Dorrance said. "If we mention anything that is successful about our team without mentioning her name, then we've made a mistake. She was huge and scored the critical goal."

Chalupny was all over the field, making runs and pressuring UVa. players. She has become the main playmaker for the Tar Heels in the midfield since teammate Lindsay Tarpley broke her leg Sept. 26 against Virginia Tech.

But Virginia didn't give up. It kept attacking the North Carolina defense, and 10 minutes later the Cavaliers scored a goal of their own.

Senior Jamie Fabrizio scored her second goal of the year when she headed the ball in off teammate Sarah Huffman's corner kick, but the Cavaliers did not have any more quality chances on goal.

The tough play of both defenses accounted for multiple offsides and fouls called on both teams.

North Carolina was whistled for nine offsides and 13 fouls, while Virginia had eight offsides and 10 fouls.

The Tar Heels also defeated ACC opponent Wake Forest on Wednesday, 3-0, in Winston-Salem. Heather O'Reilly, Amy Steadman and Morrell all scored in UNC's victory.

But the win against fourth-ranked Virginia is the one about which the Tar Heels are most excited.

"This is a very big win for our season," Chalupny said. "This is a team we could possibly see in the NCAA Tournament, and we wanted to come out and show them what we're about."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.