Tar Heel players cited for drug use

3 sophomores suspended for marijuana possession

Three North Carolina football players were suspended indefinitely from the team Monday after University police cited them for simple possession of marijuana.

Wide receiver Adarius Bowman, linebacker Fred Sparkman and defensive tackle Isaiah Thomas will not participate in any team activities until further notice.

The citations are under investigation by University police.

"The young men involved will not play until Director of Athletics Dick Baddour and I determine otherwise," UNC coach John Bunting said in a statement Monday. "It is important to note that all three student-athletes deny their involvement with these charges, and we are looking into that at this time."

According to University police reports, a student on the first floor of Connor Residence Hall brought the smell of marijuana to the attention of a resident assistant Sunday evening. The RA contacted University police.

An officer traced the smell and knocked on the door of Thomas' room, according to reports.

Bowman and Sparkman were also in the room, and all three of the men had bloodshot eyes, the report states. In response to a request from the officer, Thomas handed over a bag of marijuana, reports state.

The officer also found a Styrofoam container with marijuana on it, reports state.

Police seized 5.8 grams of marijuana, according to reports.

The loss of the three players comes at an unfortunate time for the Tar Heels, who evened their record to 3-3 after an upset victory against N.C. State on Saturday. The team's next three games come against No. 11 Utah, No. 3 Miami and perennial power Virginia Tech.

"I can't remember a time when I was more disappointed," Bunting said in his statement. "The last thing we need after an exciting win like we had Saturday evening was an off-the-field situation that would embarrass the University and this football program."

Each of the suspended players, all sophomores, has played a pivotal role for UNC thus far this season.

Bowman has emerged as the team's top big-play receiver, and he caught a 46-yard touchdown pass from Darian Durant on Saturday.

Sparkman started the first six games at middle linebacker and leads the Tar Heels with 61 tackles.

And Thomas, while he has not started a game in 2004, garners significant playing time in the squad's defensive-line rotation.

UNC's updated its depth chart late Monday, and junior Doug Justice is slated to start in place of Sparkman. Justice has not started since last year's tilt against N.C. State on Sept. 27, 2003.

The suspensions are not the first of the 2004 campaign for UNC.

Earlier this season, linebacker Tommy Richardson was suspended for a game for unspecified reasons. Punter David Wooldridge was suspended for one game after he was charged with a misdemeanor larceny. He is accused of stealing computer equipment from Wal-Mart, reports state.

Wooldridge's court date is set for today at 9 a.m.

Assistant Sports Editor Daniel Blank contributed to this article.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.