UNC looks to break slump

Tar heels aim to topple rival Ga. Tech

If it can be said the North Carolina volleyball team has an arch nemesis, Georgia Tech is probably it.

"You butt heads with Georgia Tech," said senior Molly Pyles. "That's just always the team that you go after."

The Yellow Jackets, who are in first place in the ACC and have an undefeated conference record, have ousted the Tar Heels in six of the last 10 meetings.

And after falling to Miami and Florida State last weekend, the Tar Heels (11-10, 6-3 in the ACC) enter their weekend matches against Clemson and Georgia Tech with their season potentially on the line.

"(It's) understanding that you're in a three-game slump," Pyles said. "Understanding what it takes to get out of it and understanding that ACCs is on this weekend. (The NCAA Tournament) is going to be on this weekend.

"There are so many things that make this weekend so very crucial."

North Carolina looks to avenge Saturday its 3-0 road loss to the Yellow Jackets earlier this season by altering its offensive style.

"We want to be more successful on offense with our choices and do some different things with the outside hitters," said UNC coach Joe Sagula. "They're going to try a little faster tempo."

With the loss of Meg Eckert, who sprained her ankle against Florida State and will miss at least the next two weeks, Pyles and fellow outside hitter Dani Nyenhuis will be required to shoulder more weight than usual.

"Their consistency will mean a lot for our team doing well this weekend," Sagula said. "It's not pressure; that's the reality of it. They need to carry the load."

In the Sept. 24 match, Georgia Tech outdug the Tar Heels 73-48, so the defensive effort led by defensive specialists Caroline deRoeck and Taylor Rayfield could prove crucial to a UNC victory.

"We need to make sure we stay disciplined in our blocking," Sagula said. "We just kind of shied away. We need to be more relentless. We need to make better decisions when we're on the court."

Georgia Tech (14-5, 8-0) is led by senior outside hitter Lynnette Moster, who was named ACC Volleyball Co-Player of the Week on Monday for the seventh time in her career.

"Georgia Tech has a very quick offense," Rayfield said. "They run a one-three-and-a-hot - three really fast sets that the blocker can get tripped up on. ... So, it's up to us on defense to help them out and dig behind them."

In Friday's game, the Tar Heels will face the Tigers (13-8, 4-4), who have won five of their last six matches. Earlier this season, UNC defeated Clemson 3-2 on the road but aims for a decisive victory after dropping two of the first three games in the Sept. 25 match.

"3-0," Pyles said. "As simple as I can make it, that's what we're looking to do."

And if the Tar Heels hope to take down the conference leader the following night, they'll need a win against Clemson to pull them out of their current slump.

"We need to stay on track with what we've been doing all year," Sagula said. "If we're successful early in the match on Friday, that will add confidence to the team, and we'll be able to build momentum."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.