Late surge keys UNC win

Latta's 3 helps Tar Heels knock off no. 4 Connecticut

RALEIGH - The North Carolina women's basketball team found itself in an unfavorable situation during the second half of Sunday's matchup against Connecticut.

With less than 15 minutes remaining, the Tar Heels trailed the defending national champions by 10, making it necessary for ninth-ranked UNC to do something it struggled to do last year - come back.

But the Tar Heels used a newfound resolve and a go-ahead 3-pointer by Ivory Latta with 1:46 left to knock off the fourth-ranked Huskies 71-65 in the Jimmy V Women's Basketball Classic at the RBC Center.

"We played these freshmen last year through those (losses)," said UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell. "We let Ivory and Camille (Little) get a lot of experience, and we felt like it would pay off for us down the road."

The inside presence of this year's star freshman, Erlana Larkins, played a major factor in the game's outcome.

Larkins came off the bench to score 14 points and grab eight rebounds. Her three consecutive lay-ins midway through the second half sparked a 15-4 run that ended with UNC (2-0) regaining the lead for the first time since the six-minute mark of the first half.

"Our strategy was to drive and draw, and Ivory did that," Larkins said. "She drove and drew people to her, and I found the holes in the defense and made lay-ups."

The inspired play of Latta also was a key to the Tar Heels' victory against arguably their toughest non-conference opponent in recent years.

The sophomore guard shook off a 1-for-7 shooting performance in the first half to finish with a team-high 16 points, including the step-back 3-pointer that put UNC up by two and in control of the contest.

"When I saw the defender back up and stutter step, I was like, 'Yeah, this is a good time to take the 3,'" Latta said. "And when I released it, I didn't want to go back and start blowing up, but I knew I had made it when it left my hand."

Connecticut (1-1) was unable to convert on a number of its free-throw attempts down the stretch. The Huskies shot just 64.3 percent from the line in the second half, including a 2-for-6 showing in the final seven minutes.

"I think the free throws were important as far as momentum goes," said UConn coach Geno Auriemma. "If you don't make free throws, it's like a turnover. Those are easy buckets, and you've got to make them."

On the other hand, the Tar Heels were almost flawless in the game's waning moments. After Latta's 3-pointer, UNC converted on 9-of-10 free-throw attempts to seal the upset win.

The victory was North Carolina's second of the weekend, as it defeated Elon 86-40 in its season opener Friday at Carmichael Auditorium.

UNC's resilient ousting of the defending national champions allowed the Tar Heels to show their ability to compete with the nation's top teams.

However, Hatchell's pregame conversation with Auriemma might infer that this is not the only benefit UNC will reap after playing in Sunday's event.

"He told me that two years ago, three of the four teams in this tournament went to the Final Four that year," Hatchell said.

"I said, 'Are you telling me we are going to go to the Final Four because we are playing in this game?' And he said, 'It's a good warmup.'"

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.