Staying in control

Accepting money from the Pope Foundation is not a crime, and UNC has enough backbone to take the funding and to maintain integrity.

Members of the University community are protesting the possibility that UNC might accept money from the Raleigh-based John William Pope Foundation to fund a Western civilization program.

Though guarding against the influence of outside groups on the University and protecting the spirit of academic freedom are noble goals, this funding proposal should be no cause for consternation.

Last week, the Graduate and Professional Student Federation Senate voted decisively to condemn the University's potential use of Pope Foundation money as the backer for a Western studies program. Included in the GPSF's stand against Art and John William Pope are complaints about the Pope Center for Higher Education Policy, a conservative watchdog group that has been a particularly ardent critic of the University and UNC programs, including the Latino studies minor and the cultural diversity requirement.

Yes, the Pope Foundation and the Pope Center are related - originally linked by the John Locke Foundation, a conservative think tank - and still tied together by the Pope family. But even if two groups share a namesake, it doesn't automatically mean they are one and the same in terms of purpose.

The center certainly has criticized the University, particularly in regard to programs focused on race, gender and sexuality.

But it's the foundation - not the center - that is considering whether to donate money to the University to support a new program. And if it ends up doing so, the Pope Foundation and its affiliates won't have any control aside from signing a check.

It's important to note that College of Arts and Sciences officials are asking the foundation to help in the creation of some kind of program to study Western civilization - not the other way around.

This is not an attempt by the foundation to buy itself a major role in University decision-making and to gain some control of the curriculum. Rather, this is the foundation exploring one possible way in which it can contribute to UNC.

And if the Popes are attempting to buy power by supporting an academic program, they're wasting both their time and their money.

In the recent past, UNC has shown that it doesn't bend easily to outside pressure, and students and faculty members should have faith that the administrators won't let any outsiders run the show.

If the Pope Foundation backs the Western studies program and expects control, the worst that can happen is that the University will say no and tell the Popes to take their funding elsewhere if they disagree with its allotment. Those who are decrying this possible arrangement as a potential violation of academic freedom aren't putting enough faith in the University's ability to stand firm in the face of pressure.

Finally, some people might think that enhancing the study of Western culture at the University would be redundant. But a vast majority of UNC students grew up in the United States, and highlighting Western studies in the curriculum would be of relevance to them.

The GPSF tried to make a strong point by passing a resolution condemning financial involvement with a group that has attacked the University. Maintaining UNC's academic freedom is a serious concern.

If the Pope Foundation donates a large amount of money to the University for a specific purpose, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that its officials will keep a watchful eye on the investment.

But in this case, money won't bring the Popes power.