Students apathetic about crucial game

The battle for the Victory Bell is upon us.

Great.

North Carolina is playing Duke in football.

Does anyone care?

If you ask around campus, responses will range from "Who're we playing?" to "I'd be interested if it were at home, maybe."

One student claimed that the cold weather present during the last game of the season was deterrent enough.

The game does matter to some fans - one mentioned that he will be heading over to Wallace Wade Stadium to watch the game in person - but the lack of energy is palpable. There's no pep, no anticipation.

The recent gridiron battles between North Carolina and Duke simply have failed to imbue fans with the same fervor as Tobacco Road basketball contests.

UNC supporters are forced to draw on their passions against the Blue Devils year after year in a game that would be an afterthought if the opponents wore a different jersey.

North Carolina had won for 13 straight years before dropping last year's finale. At some point during a 13-game winning streak, rivalry gives way to dominance.

So maybe the lack of interest in Tobacco Road football makes sense.

But not this year.

The Tar Heels enter this season's contest with a bowl game at stake. For the first time in three years, UNC has a shot at postseason play.

Read that again - UNC has a shot at postseason play.

Before the season started, even the most optimistic fans knew it was a stretch to say that. They wanted to believe the Tar Heels could make a bowl and probably convinced themselves that it could happen if things broke right.

But after 3-9 and 2-10 seasons, no one could have safely harbored high expectations for this team.

Truth be told, it's been hard to harbor any expectations for this team.

An energizing upset win against Georgia Tech was followed by a "Category 6: Day of Disaster" against Louisville.

A thrilling goal-line stand to stave off N.C. State came one week before Utah ran (and passed) all over UNC for an astounding 669 yards of total offense.

A stunning, momentous upset of Miami preceded a deflating loss to Virginia Tech in which the team - coach, offensive coordinator and quarterback - simply blew it on the second-to-last play.

Most roller coasters don't have this many stomach-turning drops.

This year's Tar Heels are the kind of team that leaves fans with cold sweats at night, dreading any game of importance because they have no idea if UNC will play up to its potential or lose by 40.

Well, the Tar Heel fans should break out the cold compresses - this week's contest is an absolutely crucial game for the North Carolina football program.

A win could mean a trip to Boise (or Vegas or Charlotte) and vindication for embattled UNC coach John Bunting and quarterback Darian Durant, who has struggled with the perception that he's not a winner.

But if UNC loses this game, it's likely time for a change at the top.

If a team shows it can beat Miami and lose to Duke in the same season, it's not consistent enough to climb to the next rung on the success ladder.

By putting UNC in position to post its first winning record in three years, Bunting has managed to turn the corner in his fourth year at the helm.

It remains to be seen if he now can take it to the house.

Maybe that's the reason fans aren't putting too much of themselves into this year's game - this one actually means something.

Contact Ben Couch at bcouch@email.unc.edu.