UNC moves closer to tournament bid

CARY - When the season began, it seemed a formality that the North Carolina men's soccer team would be playing deep into the postseason.

But after the squad started the season 2-5-2, it wasn't clear whether UNC would even qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

Now, after losing their fifth game - a heartbreaking loss to rival Duke - the Tar Heels have won eight of their last 10 games.

Some of the early struggles for UNC can be blamed on what coach Elmar Bolowich called a "suicide schedule."

"We probably played 11 or 12 teams in the regular season that will show up in the tournament," Bolowich said.

The early-season woes can also be attributed to the youth of the Tar Heel roster.

On Wednesday, only three seniors - Tim Merritt, Andrew Rhea and Marcus Storey - started for UNC.

"Our team has matured," Bolowich said. "We have gone through some growing pains with a very young team. They are coming together."

The Tar Heels' turnaround largely can be credited to improved defense.

In its last 10 games, UNC has surrendered only six goals, posting five shutouts during that stretch.

The defense has been looking to play more aggressively on the field and trying to set up more scoring chances for the offense.

"Our defense and our midfield created a lot of chances for us up top because they were smart with the opportunities they were giving to us," said sophomore Jamie Watson.

With Wednesday's 2-0 victory against N.C. State in the ACC Tournament, the Tar Heels have almost guaranteed themselves a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

"That's not in my control," Bolowich said. "A lot depends what happens in the south and how the automatic bids go."

While trying to avoid saying directly that his team would make the NCAA Tournament, Bolowich seemed confident that his team would be playing later this year.

"What is looked upon is how well you do towards the end of the season, and we have done a real, real good job against very tough opponents," Bolowich said. "We have gotten the results."

Bolowich and the Tar Heels would like to erase all doubt about earning an NCAA Tournament bid by winning the ACC Tournament this weekend.

The Tar Heels will play Maryland, who beat UNC 1-0 on Oct. 10, in the semifinals Friday, and Bolowich knows they can't take the Terps lightly.

"We can't take the back seat," he said. "We need to start putting together 90-minute games."

Even if they aren't able to win the conference tournament, it seems as if the Tar Heels have done enough to secure themselves at least one game in the NCAA Tournament.

"I'm looking forward to it," Bolowich said. "I think we are going to the postseason."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.