Achordants to sing in New York

Group to try for a cappella title

A group of UNC students is crooning its way to the Big Apple.

The Achordants, an all-male a cappella group, will perform tonight in Gerrard Hall before packing its bags for New York City, where it will compete April 30 at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

It won the honor by placing first in the Southern regional of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella

“We were completely blown away,” said Yuri Broze, the group’s musical director, who also won an award for best arrangement.

“We didn’t expect anything. … I’m just beside myself.”

The group took a long road to get to where it is now. Before the regional finals, in which it competed with UNC’s Loreleis, the Achordants had to make it through the divisional round at Clemson University in November.

“It was our first time competing in any major competition,” said Drew Shaw, the current president of the group. “We were really apprehensive about the whole ordeal, but we came out on top.”

Shaw joined the group during the first semester of his sophomore year.

“I chose the Achordants because of the diverse repertoire they have,” Shaw said. “With a cappella, there seems to be a lot of uniformity. With this group, you can be yourself, and it reflects the individuality of the group itself.”

It was founded in 2001 by Arash Jahanian and Derek Vanderpool, two students who were disappointed with the limited opportunities for singers and the lack of musical diversity among existing groups.

“I love our diversity,” said Jed Wang, the future president of the group. “Everyone is very different. … Their personalities are really eclectic.”

And the group welcomes people with many different backgrounds.

“I didn’t really consider myself much of a singer until a few friends suggested I try out,” said Alex Barnes, a junior and tenor with the group who said he’s loved his tenure.

Despite its youth, the group has accomplished a lot.

“It is a real honor … to come to a place where we are able to compete in New York City,” Wang said.

Added Shaw, “I was so close to just breaking down in the middle of the stage. It’s amazing how far we’ve come.”

While the group is working hard to prepare for the competition, both logistically and musically, the focus is on its innovative “murder mystery” spring concert, which started Thursday and ends today in Chapel Hill.

“I think that we’re all incredibly excited to go to New York, but right now, all our focus and drive is putting on a good show for the people of Chapel Hill,” Broze said.

The group’s 16 members have made having fun through music their No. 1 priority.

“We don’t take a cappella too seriously,” Broze said. “The point is not thinking you are a rock star, not thinking that you are at the top of the world, just to entertain people on campus.”

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.