Exploring the supernatural

Hotel rumored to be haunted by former resident

For the first time, tourists might not be so upset if an unexpected guest shows up on their vacation.

True believers, skeptics and some people just looking for a good time inhabited the Carolina Inn on Saturday, searching for evidence of an afterlife.

Ghost hunters Christopher Moon and his parents Dennis and Paulette Huff — all of whom work for the Colorado-based Haunted Times Magazine ­— shared their knowledge of the supernatural with skeptics and believers at the Carolina Inn — which some say is a haunted location.

Following a crash course in the paranormal, Moon and Dennis Huff led about 50 ghost-hunting novices around the Carolina Inn. Participants were able to put their new skills to the test with a tour of some possible haunted areas.

The Inn’s most famous story is of William Jacocks, who is said to haunt room 252 by sometimes locking guests out of their room, rendering their keys useless.

Jacocks ­­— who lived in the Inn for 17 years until he died in 1965 — was said to have been a practical joker, and some see the strange occurrences as his tricks from the beyond.

The tour consisted of an Electronic Voice Phenomena session in which electronic equipment such as recorders was used to document possible conversations with spirits in room 252.

“No one has reported anything frightening or scary,” Paulette Huff said.

“Those of you staying here tonight don’t have a whole lot to worry about — maybe,” she added with a coy smile.

Believers in the spirit world ventured out to the Inn, some saying they had paranormal encounters themselves.

“I’ve seen my grandfather,” said Katie Hills, a high-school junior from Florida who was visiting the University. “I just wanted to figure out why he’s here.”

Other attendees said they thought the event just sounded like an entertaining way to spend a Saturday night.

“(I came) just for fun,” said Chapel Hill resident Nancy Crow.

The investigators provided the guests with ghost-hunting tips and showed what equipment to use on hunts.

For two hours, Moon gave a briefing of specific hunting techniques, relating some rules that might be pertinent to any investigation, including not hunting alone, gathering all evidence and remaining sober.

Despite their staunch belief in the supernatural, the ghost hunters — all dressed in jeans and black vests with multiple pockets — underscored the importance of searching for and questioning evidence.

“You have to open yourself up, but be skeptical,” Moon said.

Moon said spirits use the energy emitted by electronics to communicate and present themselves in orbs — small, glowing circles found in some pictures and video recordings.

Dennis Huff led guests around parts of the hotel, including the alumni room and a chair storage room, where they could take pictures and look for orbs on their own cameras.

But some remained skeptics after the information session and hunt.

“You can’t hear it; you can’t see it — but the electronic devices can,” said Chapel Hill resident Tad Scott. “Could it be the electronic devices?

“I guess I’m a disbeliever,” he added.

The evening concluded with guests listening to their EVP sessions and asking questions to anyone they wanted to contact in the beyond. All were awarded diplomas from “Ghost Hunter University.”

Moon said he and his family will continue to give sessions across the country, maybe even returning to the Carolina Inn in August. “There are spirits around us all the time.”