Votecarolina works for higher turnout

Online exclusive

A lot can happen in four years.

So members of VoteCarolina are encouraging students to make their voices heard by voting in the upcoming town election.

"Even if 750 or 1,000 students vote, that would likely be enough to affect the face of (the Chapel Hill) Town Council," said Bernard Holloway, treasurer of VoteCarolina.

Increased student voting can cause candidates to change the focus of campaigns, said Jeremy Spivey, VoteCarolina president.

"I think what this will do is bring student concerns to the forefront," he said. "You will see the platforms start to conform to students."

Members of the coalition, which encourages students to register and vote in Orange County, will have a harder time motivating students than last year, said Anisa Mohanty, a member of VoteCarolina's executive board.

Municipal elections are notorious for low voter turnout, especially by students.

In 2003's election, 329 people between the ages of 18 and 22 ventured to Chapel Hill polls.

Students need to understand how much local politics influence their time in Chapel Hill, Mohanty said.

"It's really about educating students on how the Town Council affects them," she said.

The finance committee of Student Congress allocated VoteCarolina $1,425 Sept. 13 for a voter guide. It will be published a week before elections in The Daily Tar Heel and will include information on candidates and precincts as well as a sample ballot.

A guide was distributed last year, but Holloway said this year's will reach more people if it's in the DTH.

"Students tend to be less aware of local issues, so the voter guides are even more crucial," he said.

The group also is planning a concert series and is looking for stores on Franklin Street to provide a discount to those with an "I Voted" sticker.

VoteCarolina has seen some changes this year as it is no longer affiliated with student government. Meetings are held in the Student Union since the group lost space in the student government office.

"I think not being in the office as much will create a divide," Spivey said. "But the connection will still be really strong."

Some members find the new independence beneficial.

"Because it is its own independent organization, it has the staying power that can outlast the whims of student government administrations with different priorities," Holloway said.

Mohanty said that being part of student government helped with publicity but that VoteCarolina still will be able to contact students because of the diverse viewpoints within the group.

Student voting should be a priority for student government and other campus organizations, Holloway said.

"These are the elections that will change our lives in Chapel Hill over the next four years."