Officials stress desire for cleanliness in Stone Center

Stains and trash are an unwelcome sight in any classroom.

But in a building that is barely a year old, it is too early for the condition to decline, said University officials.

Since opening in August 2004, the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History has offered a multipurpose auditorium that is used for classes, performances and lectures.

"The basic wear and tear is not what we are experiencing," said director Joseph Jordan. "It's worse than that."

Coffee and soda stains along with a large amount of trash can be found in the auditorium after a day of classes, he said.

"I want people to take ownership of the space," he said.

The center is working with the registrar's office, the provost's office and facility services to determine what can be done to prevent any further damage.

"I've been very satisfied with the attention they've paid us," Jordan said.

He said he agreed to allow classes in the building because of the limited amount of space on campus.

"We are part of the University," he said. "The fact that there was a need (for classrooms) was compelling."

Between 40 and 50 hours of classes are held in the center during the week, Jordan said.

A large amount of student traffic flows through the building each day, said Yahshanna Scott, an office assistant at the center.

Yet, the rest of the building does not experience the same problems, she said.

"If anything, it's student-done," she said.

The center's auditorium adopted the same policy as many other classrooms: Only water and drinks with lids are permitted and no food is allowed.

Because the room is used for more than just classes, the policy should be even stricter, Jordan said.

University officials charged the faculty members with the task of monitoring students.

"We just have to try to change behavior," Jordan said.

Students who have a class in the center's auditorium said the building looks practically new.

"It's no messier than any other (classroom)," said Stephanie Fries, a freshman business major. "It's actually nicer than a lot of the other rooms."

A clean classroom is important, she said. "It's a good learning environment."

Established in 1988, the center focuses on black culture and appreciation within the community. It originally was located in a room of the Student Union, until it moved to its current location next to the Bell Tower in 2004.

The center and other University officials will continue to work to find a solution for the deteriorating condition of the building. Jordan said he hopes the building will continue to serve UNC.

"(I hope) that we will be able to maintain the building for years to come - in a manner that would make the University community proud."