UNC printing goes wireless

Starting today, students won’t have to wait in computer labs to print out their documents.

Information Technology Services is rolling out a new service for students with Carolina Computing Initiative laptops – the ability to use the campus’ wireless network to send printing jobs to any ITS computer lab.

“We really have no way to field test this (other) than out in the field,” said Charlie Green, assistant vice chancellor for teaching and learning. “Cross your fingers and hope.”

The printing initiative is part of ITS’ strategy for services that allow students to access wireless networking and printing from any location on campus, Green said.

Students first must download software to their laptops by accessing cci.unc.edu/pharos, then they can preview and print files at a print- release station at any ITS lab.

To pay for the Pharos software, there is a small, built-in fee in the 5 cents that it costs to print every page, Green said. There is no additional cost for students.

“We’re trying to ease the burden on student fees so they can be used in different ways,” he said.

Green said the system will work to reduce paper waste because fewer students will reprint their pages in the computer lab thinking their print jobs have not gone through.

A print job stays in an ITS printer’s database for 20 minutes. With the new operation, release stations hold print request data for an hour after the request is made, he said.

If there are no problems with printer backlog, Green said the system eventually will be able to hold print jobs for up to 24 hours. For the moment, Green said he doesn’t want to overload the system to the point where no one can print.

“We will find a nice balance at some future point,” he said.

Other features of the system include the display of information about the document length and how much printing money is left on a student’s UNC One Card.

There are eight ITS computer labs on campus where students can pick up their documents: Davis Library, the Health Sciences Library, Hinton James Residence Hall, the UNC schools of law and public health, the Student Union, the Undergraduate Library and the Swain Hall’s main office for computer labs.

Two test print-release stations also have been installed in Carmichael and Ehringhaus residence halls, Green said.

If students encounter problems with the new system, they are encouraged to call 962-HELP, said Beth Millbank, public relations manager for ITS.