Monday February 6th

Violence and nudity can't save 'Hitman'

"Hitman," which had all the promise of a sleek video game series and an intriguing trailer featuring a haunting choral Ave Maria, falls unfortunately flat in its delivery. Agent 47 (Timothy Olyphant), bred by a shadowy organization as an ultra-elite assassin, must survive all kinds of mayhem as his employers turn against him. He also must protect an attractive Russian prostitute caught up in the mix - who never fails to show her breasts at every opportunity. The fact that the movie's storyline is dangerously similar to the "Bourne" trilogy isn't a fault by itself. Unfortunately, "Hitman" falls short in every category that the "Bourne" movies excelled in. The problem starts with Olyphant. The relatively unknown actor won't gain any credibility from this starring role, as he tackles it with all the emotional subtlety of a rock. While the script tries to inject character into Agent 47, Olyphant fails to contribute anything other than two hands to hold weapons. And his supporting cast doesn't help much, either. When the movie's lifeless characters shut up and start shooting, the stumbling film actually catches its stride, keeping viewers on the edges of their seats as "Hitman"'s body count rises exponentially. But French-born director Xavier Gens fails to create a story compelling enough to make this film anything more than a mindless action flick. "Hitman" had the potential to be a smart and exciting film. But as might have been predicted, it caught the unfortunate under-achieving virus that plagues many video game-based movies. Exciting combat and pointless nudity can only do so much. Contact the Diveresions Editor at dive@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition