ASG meeting remains focused

Notable change in student group

GREENSBORO - Student leaders from across the state conducted a perfectly uneventful meeting Saturday.

And for the UNC-system Association of Student Governments, that marks significant progress.

After months of leadership struggles, political intrigue and frayed tempers, the association managed a drama-free session. For the first time in recent memory, committee meetings and legislation were the center of attention.

"We've accomplished more in the six hours we've been here than in the entire six months previously," said Greg Doucette, a delegate from N.C. State University. "That's an amazing feat."

The enthusiasm for such a low-key meeting, which saw debate on about a half-dozen relatively minor resolutions, illustrates just how badly the association needed a calm gathering with a solid quorum of delegates.

Through all of last semester, the ASG stumbled from one crisis to another, including the resignation of its president.

UNC-system administrators significantly tightened their oversight of the student-led group, and there were fears of a drastic restructuring if the situation did not improve.

Cody Grasty, who became ASG president in October, said he hopes the quiet weekend in Greensboro will help allay the concerns of UNC officials.

"Going into this meeting Friday, I honestly had my doubts," Grasty said. "But I hope this is a first step toward a productive semester for the ASG."

What the group can accomplish before the end of the academic year remains an open question.

The debate about the ASG's core mission - and how to spend its $190,000 annual budget - is still unsettled.

The association's leaders have kicked around the idea of naming a special task force to help give the group a clearer sense of mission.

"We need to create some specific targets," said Sammie Dow, ASG vice president for developmental affairs. "There's got to be something we want, something we need that we can build a campaign around."

Grasty said he is still deciding whether a task force of current and former ASG members might help answer those questions.

In the meantime, delegates spent the weekend discussing new programs for the association to fund.

Delegates considered a program that would award $200 grants to campus groups conducting voter registration drives but put off a final decision until next month.

They tentatively agreed to set aside $5,000 for a town-gown summit to discuss relationships between campuses and surrounding communities.

And they voted to spend $2,400 creating T-shirts printed with the words "I've got your dollar," part of an effort to promote awareness about the association and the $1 fee it collects from every student in the UNC system.

"We got a lot more done than I expected," said Keri Brockett, student government association president at East Carolina University. "This has been a very positive meeting with some very positive outcomes."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.