Monday February 6th

'Rambo' blows stuff up - that's all

One could say that a strong message of togetherness exudes from "Rambo." While things like race, religion or social status might divide us on the surface, we all look the same when we're being pointlessly blown to pieces. Of course, that might be giving "Rambo" a little too much credit. Sylvester Stallone reprises his iconic role as John Rambo, the all-American ass-kickin' Vietnam vet who won his way into the hearts of American audiences by perfecting the time-honored national tradition of killing anything that moves. Here, the audience finds Rambo living a life of solitude and glistening muscles in the jungle of Thailand. After a naive group of American missionaries goes missing in war-torn "Burma" (apparently, Hollywood isn't aware of Myanmar), Rambo must single-handedly defeat every man between the ages of 17 and 60 in Southeast Asia - and all with his bow and arrows. OK, that's probably giving Rambo a bit too much credit again. There are a few mercenaries on his side, and perhaps he uses one or two (or 70) other weapons in the process. But that's just to keep his enemies guessing. I mean, Rambo outruns an atomic bomb. Seriously. There's really not much more to be said. Stallone - obviously hard-up for cash - recently added to the "Rocky" series with a gritty and successful performance. "Rambo," on the other hand, fails to follow suit. The film tries to add depth and emotional tug by highlighting pointless slaughter for the entirety of the film. An attempt to bring to light humanitarian crises is a noble cause, but there are ways to achieve this without incessant violence. A decent plot, for example. But when Stallone himself co-wrote the story, is anyone really surprised? And while John Rambo could probably make Chuck Norris cry (thereby curing cancer), don't expect much character development out of Stallone. You can't blame the supporting cast - actually, come to think of it, do blame them. They were bad. However, those who enjoyed the high body count of the first three "Rambo" movies probably will enjoy this hyper-violent action flick too. The excitement will send blood pumping through their veins - almost as fast as it pumps it out of the bodies of the film's seemingly disposable extras. Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition