Monday February 6th

Two musical acts slated for UNC performances

Two eclectic, internationally acclaimed acts will usher in the spring catalogue of musical offerings from the Carolina Union Activities Board in the coming months. Student tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. today for Grammy-nominated R&B singer, songwriter and composer Chrisette Michele, who will perform Feb. 13 in Memorial Hall. CUAB also announced its plans to showcase Jose Gonzalez, a Swedish-Argentinian folk singer and guitarist March 3 in the Student Union Great Hall. Gonzalez's music has recently been featured in a commercial for Sony and in television shows such as "Scrubs" and "One Tree Hill." Singer/songwriter Mia Doi Todd is scheduled to open for Gonzalez. "The wonderful thing about CUAB is that it's a very diverse group of people who enjoy pretty much everything," said Robert Gurdian, Carolina Union president. "I would say a large amount of our committee members didn't know who these artists were, but after listening to them, understood why we are bringing them. We don't always bring the people who right away have name recognition." Gonzalez was selected to perform at UNC by CUAB's music committee, while Michele was chosen by the group's performing arts committee. "There was kind of a mixed initial response to Jose - kind of, 'Who is this?' to 'Oh my god, could you get him?'" said Tom Allin, CUAB's music committee chairman. "But generally once I played his stuff, the committee was all on board." Gurdian and Allin decided to slate Gonzalez for the Great Hall because of the artist's "delicate and intricate" style of music and to promote an intimate setting during the concert. Organizers at CUAB were concerned that an ideal atmosphere for Gonzalez's performance could not be achieved in the more than 1,400-seat Memorial Hall. Michele is more suited for the larger venue, Gurdian said. "Chrisette has had a lot more name recognition (than Gonzalez), and she could probably sell out Memorial," he said. "The kind of energy you get in Memorial, we thought that was the best for her." Marie Monroe, CUAB's performing arts chairwoman, said bringing a performer such as Michele was one of CUAB's and her own personal goals for the year. "My goal was to bring a female performer, and we haven't gotten one in a few years," Monroe said. "We're also trying to cover different genres of music, and I feel like we haven't touched that R&B, soul genre yet." Gurdian said the two acts were relatively inexpensive to book and are "middle range for what we've done as far as recognition goes." And Gurdian said other musical acts are in the works. "I think (Gonzalez and Michele) will create a lot of momentum for what's to come in the spring," Gurdian said. "I think it will be a good start to what we expect to be even more great shows in the coming months afterward, and those will really build on these two." Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition