Weekend holds stress for ASG

The UNC-system Association of Student Governments is facing a make-or-break meeting this weekend in Greensboro.

The association spent all of last semester locked in a frustrating struggle for credibility, and members fear that a disorganized gathering this weekend could be a debilitating blow.

There is a pervasive fear that UNC system administrators, who have been exercising increased scrutiny of the ASG, could step in and drastically restructure the student-led group if there is no clear progress in Greensboro.

"This meeting is kind of like a test ground," said Greg Doucette, president of N.C. State University's student senate and one of the ASG's most active delegates.

"They want to see some tangible improvement at this meeting."

The ASG, which is composed of student body presidents and delegates from the system's 17 campuses, has been consumed with rumors about a possible shake-up. Members are concerned about losing the $190,000 in student fee money that the group receives each year.

System administrators have repeatedly said the ASG's future will be up to its student members, but they have also refused to quell rumors about a possible funding reduction.

Kemal Atkins, the system's Director for Academic and Student Affairs, said the fee issue will be under discussion in the coming months.

ASG President Cody Grasty said he expects a solid turnout for the weekend meeting, which will be held on the campus of N.C. Agricultural & Technical State University. That alone would be an improvement over recent meetings, when the ASG has struggled to reach a quorum of delegates.

"Success is relative," Grasty said. "I can't tell you whether people will walk away with a sense of accomplishment, or whether they'll walk away telling The Daily Tar Heel and other campus newspapers that it was a complete sham or a waste of time."

There is already concern among ASG members that the weekend will prove discouraging.

There is widespread discontent with Grasty, who took over in October after former president Cole Jones was forced from office.

Jones was mired in a months-long public relations battle because of a misdemeanor assault conviction, and Grasty promised stability after Jones' messy departure.

So far, however, that has proven elusive.

"Every expectation of Cody has not been met," Doucette said. "I don't even know what's on ASG's agenda anymore."

Grasty cancelled a December meeting of student body presidents and twice postponed the meeting now scheduled for this weekend. ASG officers complained privately that Grasty dropped out of contact during much of December, leading to speculation that he might resign.

Former ASG President Derek Pantiel said he has never seen the organization in such a deep state of confusion. The group lacks a clear mission, he said.

"When GA has to intervene, there's a serious problem," Pantiel said, referring to UNC-system General Administration.

"The organization just needs leadership. Once they have leadership, they'll have a direction."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.