Once again it's Valentine's Day" a time for Hollywood to lure men and women alike with promises of adventure coupled with key players of the romantic-comedy genre.

But don't let ""Fool's Gold"" trick you into believing it is anything more than a dumb movie starring shiny"" pretty people.

After co-starring in ""How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days"" Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey seem like the perfect pair, capable of cutesy comedy and romantic chemistry.

But the nautical nonsense in this movie washes out any potential the two stars have.

Fool's Gold"" unsuccessfully combines two storylines: one" a predictable romantic-comedy where opposites attract and the other an overly-convoluted action-adventure plot.

Recently divorced couple Tess and Benjamin Finnegan find themselves together again when they both seek the financial support of the millionaire Nigel Honeycutt (Donald Sutherland) to sponsor their treasure hunt.

Apparently the Finnegans have spent years searching for a treasure lost by the Spanish crown in the 1500s.

But unfortunately for them some less-than-friendly mobsters also are in pursuit of the Spanish booty.

The action-packed hunt-and-chase portion of the movie is confusing and obviously unrealistic which would be forgivable if the romantic-comedy side of the movie could hold its own.

But alas the humor is limited to lame slapstick and weak sexual tension between Hudson and McConaughey.

They know how to lose an audience in 10 minutes.

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.