An eavesdropping, wife-swapping, blackmailing comedy extravaganza will begin to unfold on campus tonight.

Blackmail"" a play presented by the UNC Playwriting Studio, will debut at 8:15 p.m. tonight in the Elizabeth Price Kenan Theatre. The play is the first comedy written by junior Russell Johnson.

Blackmail"" is set in 1940s New York and focuses on a mailman who routinely reads a wealthy couple's personal mail. Hilarity ensues when the mailman finds that the couple has engaged in wife swapping.

Johnson" who is a member ofthe student improv group Chapel Hill Players" said writing his own play allowed him to invest more in his characters than he does in sketch comedy.

""It's very different from some of the plays that have been done on campus"" he said.

And because Johnson's play is an original production, actors have been able to put their own influences into the script.

The cast has been spectacular"" said senior Ike Smith, who directed the production. It has been really fun seeing the scripts evolve"" and the cast has been a big part of that.""

Many of the actors featured in the play are also members of Chapel Hill Players.

Alex Whittington" who plays Danny the mailman" said there are a few asides and additions that he has made to the character.

""The life of the actors has brought some more comedy to an already funny script"" he said.

But Ryan Millager, a senior featured in Blackmail"" said he has found delivering lines humorously and creating his own character at the same time a challenge.

The audition process for Blackmail"" was untraditional as well. During the two-round procedure"" actors were asked to try new and innovative approaches to the script.

""The audition process was different ... because it was a really fun-loving atmosphere"" Whittington said.

Once auditions were finished, actors and directors began rehearsing for the play just before winter break. After returning in January, the cast had to bring the play together quickly.

Time is probably the biggest thing"" Smith said.

Although the short rehearsal time has proved a challenge, those involved said the collaborative nature of the project has made Blackmail"" enjoyable to complete.

""Only in the last week (of rehearsals) do we move into the theater itself"" Millager said. Now we have to be on our feet and be ready to go with the new thing.""

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.