Wednesday October 5th

Love doctor on call

Coleman gives out dating advice to students

Students seeking love advice got their answer Wednesday night, even if it hurt. "Dating Doctor" David Coleman, the real-life inspiration for the 2005 movie "Hitch," gave dating wisdom to more than 150 students in the Student Union's Great Hall. "I realize I look a lot more like Kevin James than I do Will Smith," Coleman said. James plays the fumbling love-struck client, while Smith is the suave dating doctor. He started the two-hour show by telling the audience that he would be honest, even if it sounded harsh. Coleman bluntly told one upset audience member that his ex-girlfriend was no longer interested and wanted to pursue other men. Jerin Jones, a junior who attended the speech, said she was surprised that he lived up to his promise. "I was shocked when he talked to that guy straight," she said. "That was a real situation, and he told him the truth." Students were given a 30-minute period to ask questions during Coleman's presentation, the last event of the year presented by the Carolina Union Activities Board's performing arts committee. Some students asked questions such as why males never returned calls or what it means when men call daily to talk about other women. One student asked why women expect men to read their minds, even when they say it's not necessary. Coleman answered each question easily, as if he had heard it a thousand times. Coleman told male audience members how to tell if a woman is interested in them through signs such as prolonged eye contact or sustained proximity. He also clued in male students on the best Valentine's Day gift to give a woman. He said to give her flowers the day before and attach a small note reading, "No one as special as you should have to wait another day." "You are about to have some serious sex," Coleman joked about women's response to this gift. Coleman made his audience laugh with sex jokes and ridiculous pick-up lines. "Hey, baby, come sit on my knee," he said. "Not my left knee. Not my right knee, but my wee-knee." Marie Monroe, chairwoman of CUAB's performing arts committee, said a miscommunication prevented the performing arts committee from properly advertising the event - resulting in 300 empty seats. But Coleman said he prefers smaller crowds so he can better advise and connect with his tight-knit audience. "Life goes by too fast," Coleman told a student. "Don't ever settle." Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022