Wednesday October 5th

R&B artist to sing today

Musiq Soulchild tickets remain

Freshman Jessamyn Weis had never heard of Musiq Soulchild until her friend Nicole Powell told her to listen to the artist's 2003 album, Soulstar. She said she instantly became a fan. Now Weis, along with other attendees, will have a chance to see the three-time Grammy nominated R&B vocalist perform at 8 p.m. today in Memorial Hall. The event is presented by the Carolina Union Activities Board. "I really like his style. I can listen to it over and over again," Weis said. "A lot of popular songs get old, and I think that he has a longevity." Marie Monroe, chairwoman of CUAB's performing arts committee, said she has seen Musiq Soulchild before and knows students can expect an exceptional show. "It's definitely going to be an energetic show. His agent said that he loves performing at colleges," she said, adding that her favorite part of Musiq Soulchild's act was the crowd interaction. Musiq Soulchild was originally slated to perform last fall but decided to record another album after his 2007 record "Luvanmusiq" soared to the No. 1 spot on Billboard's top 200 chart. "The date didn't work out in the fall, but they came back at us and said he's available in April, and we took it right away," Monroe said. She said that since Musiq Soulchild was booked before his recent successes, student tickets are available for only $12. "I think it's a really good price because it is Musiq. Anywhere else it would probably be triple that," Powell said. As of Thursday 1,200 tickets had been sold, nearly selling out Memorial Hall's capacity of 1,434 seats. Monroe said although CUAB has tried to bring a greater diversity of artists to campus, Musiq Soulchild is more mainstream than previously featured R&B artists, such as Chrisette Michele, who performed Feb. 19. "You can detect blues in the sort of jazzy places in his style," Weis said. "You can tell the different music styles are there." Adding to that diversity will be student group Rare Formula and UNC junior Cheylaine Murchison, who will open for Musiq Soulchild. Rare Formula, composed of Eric Sim, Seku Grey and Simone Martin, said they are a group that covers many genres - influenced by artists ranging from Will Smith to Radiohead. Sim and Grey said they were excited to be opening for such an esteemed artist. "We thought it would be a good opportunity to show people on campus who we are," Grey said. Weis and Powell said they are looking forward to seeing Musiq Soulchild's live performance together. "It's a different feel," Powell said. "It's a different style, but at the same time it's actual R&B." Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022