Wednesday February 8th

SpringFest bigger in part II

Boyz II Men, dodgeball are features

Organizers of SpringFest '08 said that, even now, the festival makes some University administrators a little nervous. Many of those administrators were witnesses to a different version of the festival before it was canceled in the early '90s because of excessive alcohol use and crowd control problems. But Hilary Marshall, SpringFest '08's event coordinator, said she has worked on the revamped festival to garner administrative and student support. "The goal was always to bring SpringFest to this level, and so last year we proved to the administration that there was an interest to collaborate," Marshall said. "Students wanted something to send the year off. As soon as SpringFest was over last year, it was important for me to get more organization on the board to make it bigger." SpringFest '08, the fruit of Marshall's and many other campus leaders' year-long efforts, kicks off at 4 p.m. Saturday with a Lot Party in the parking lot adjacent to the Smith Center. R&B group Boyz II Men will headline the festival in a concert beginning at 8 p.m. in the Smith Center. Nine Days, a rock group, will open. SpringFest has cost groups including the Carolina Union Activities Board, the senior marshals, Student Congress and others about $78,000. "We've basically taken the 10 most respected and busiest campus leaders and put them together in a group and said 'Hey, let's plan this huge feat that's never been done before,'" Marshall said. Student Congress approved $20,000 from student fees to be used to fund the Boyz II Men concert. CUAB, which receives $300,000 in student fees each school year, contributed $23,000 to the festival. Marshall received contributions from several other UNC organizations in addition to being sponsored by CRUNK!!! Energy Drink. Carolina Union President Robert Gurdian said although SpringFest has come together successfully so far, it was not an easy task, given the event's past. Duke University's Last Day of Classes celebration faces opposition from administrators, but because the event is so popular, little has been done to alter LDOC's traditions. LDOC, which was Wednesday at Duke, is notorious for attracting student alcohol use on campus and low class attendance, said Vincent Ling, the programming director for major attractions with the Duke University Union. This year, LDOC featured performances by Third Eye Blind and The Roots. Ling said the entire event cost about $140,000 and was funded primarily by student activity fees. With SpringFest's history in mind, Gurdian said one of CUAB's goals for the event was to promote a relaxed and fun environment for students to spend time together. Subsequently, the Lot Party was created to precede the concert. The party will feature an art show where student works will be for sale, a caged dodgeball tournament, a barbecue and performances by student groups. "When I first got involved with SpringFest, CUAB (representatives) made it seem like they wanted more than just one show that would cost a lot of money," Gurdian said. "They wanted it to be a day of fun where people can spend time with other people in different situations." Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition