A welcome message from UNC chancellor

I love the third week of August in Chapel Hill.

I remember the excitement of starting my first year of college at Carolina, then as a faculty member and later as the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Now I begin the 2008-09 academic year with the best job in American higher education, as Carolina's chancellor.

Tomorrow, I'll watch out my window as students take their sips from the Old Well on the first day of classes.

Tonight, I'll introduce the Clef Hangers on the steps of South Building for their first concert of the year.

If I could, I would go take Chem 101 again.

On my first day as chancellor, I met for breakfast with Student Body President J.J. Raynor and dozens of other students to let them know how welcome their contributions are to the vision of Carolina's future.

With Steele Building renovated, the academic advising offices will return to their normal location after a year divided between Phillips Hall and Coates Building.

A new advising structure for 2008-09 means that entering first-year students and returning sophomores, juniors and seniors will be advised based on their academic majors.

I helped with both of these changes last year as dean of the College, and we think both of these advances will enhance advising.

The comprehensive renovation of Hanes Hall is also complete, and it is ready for classes.

The new Kenan Music Building for musical instruction will open in late October.

Progress on the Science Complex Phase II continues, with construction beginning on a new Venable Hall to replace the old one.

And we hope to complete the work on Boshamer Stadium in time for the first pitch of the 2009 baseball season.

While you should always be safe and follow the marked pedestrian detours around construction, please pay particular attention to the dental science construction at the corner of Manning Drive and Columbia Street.

The project will eventually include a pedestrian bridge to cross over Manning, but meanwhile, use extreme caution when walking, driving or biking in the construction area.

Please take the time to cross the street and walk on the designated sidewalk on the south side of Manning Drive.

Some of you who live in off-campus neighborhoods will be visited this afternoon as part of the Good Neighbor Initiative. Town and gown representatives will deliver bags with useful information about being part of the community.

In your new home, you've become part of the team that works to keep your neighborhood a great place to live.

The terrible loss of former Student Body President Eve Carson in the spring and the two strong-arm robbery attempts here on campus this summer remind us that our campus and community are not immune from crime.

Please practice caution and good common sense, especially at night.

Do not go out walking alone. Make use of the many free transit options on and off campus whenever possible.

We are working hard to enhance campus security, but we can't do it without your help.

Finally, please be sure to register your cell phone number in the campus directory to receive emergency text messages from the University, a supplement to the emergency sirens on campus.

To sign up for emergency text message alerts, go to alertcarolina.unc.edu and click on the prompt "Register Your Cell Phone."

From that link you will go to the campus directory and enter an Onyen, password and list the cell phone number in the Alert Carolina field.

It won't be displayed as "public" unless you choose that option, and we will only send text messages to you in an emergency or to test the system.

Welcome, new and returning Tar Heels.

It's time to embark on a great journey together. I can't wait to get started.

It's go time.