Wednesday October 5th

Cafe's intimate feeling endures

Online Exclusive

Ten years ago, Tim Stambaugh sat down in the Weaver Street Market cafe to have a glass of wine and play guitar. He had no idea he was starting what would become one of Carrboro's most treasured weekly musical events. After adding guests and an amplification system, the gathering was dubbed "After Hours," and has been going on for more than 10 summers each Thursday night. "Now there's hundreds of people that come to it," Stambaugh said. But while the season started in May, this Thursday's performance was one of the last this year. The current event calendar has only three bands still scheduled to perform, including the jazz- and pop-influenced Equinox and '50s- and '60s-style rock group Dom Casual. This week Stambaugh and his group of professional musicians gathered to play bluegrass and folk favorites. "It's an unbelievable lineup I have," Stambaugh said. Featured musicians included pianist Chris Frank, pedal steel guitarist Steve Watson and bassist Bruce Horvath - most of whom played hand-crafted instruments. A group of local Carrboro residents, students and market-goers gathered for the event. Some ate dinner with their families. Others had a beer or just enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere under the trees. Eddie Smith, a 64-year-old local potter with a dreadlocked white beard who has lived in Carrboro for four years, said he has been attending the event ever since he came to town. "It's a luncheon on the green," he said. "You get good music and good folks to be around." Smith also said the small-town atmosphere of "After Hours" is what makes it so special. "Big towns can't do this," he said. "Carrboro has a pretty old linked musical tradition that's still going." The newly appointed event organizer, UNC alumnus Jason Baker, who had attended the event before he was in charge, said he tries to bring a variety of musical acts, including rock, jazz and pop genres. "To (regulars) it really is a big part of what Carrboro is about," Baker said. "I do think we give something important back to the community, and I think people really appreciate it." And more than a decade after the event was created, the intimate atmosphere of "After Hours" still remains for all to attend, just as when Stambaugh first sat down with his guitar. Smith said he hopes it never goes away. "Only so many people can live in utopia at one time," he said. "It's OK until it gets bigger, and then it's gone. You have to enjoy it while you've got it." Related articles: 'Weaver Street' at ArtsCenter Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022