No doubt you've noticed that our Web site is undergoing changes at the moment as we convert to College Media Network's new College Publisher 5.0 platform.  I wanted to address some of the comments and concerns that our users have raised:

Registration is now required to post comments on our site.  If the site is working correctly you should be able to post comments on all articles as soon as you have logged in.  If you were already a registered user you should have received an email with a new password for your same account.

We realize our photos and graphics are currently not appearing at full size.  Until we can change this we're adding extra links to the daily crossword and editorial cartoon so that you can view them at full size in another window.

You may not be able to find all of our archived articles right now as they are moved from the old system to the new.  Our archives should be complete and completely searchable by the end of this week.

The new site is missing some features that were on the old site" such as the ""Most recently commented"" box and the ""Latest multimedia"" links.  Additionally" some of the features currently on the site are not working in some browsers such as Firefox 3 and Safari.  College Media Network is working to make the system compatible with all of the most common browsers.  In the mean time the site seems to be working best with earlier versions of Firefox.  If you're interested in downloading Firefox 2" visit http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Update" Sept. 17

Sending the email edition has been unsuccessful and College Media Network is working to fix the underlying problem.

Our RSS feed is not working properly.  We will notify readers when it is running again.

We know that these kinks in the system are inconvenient and we apologize.  Our new content management system is constantly evolving as College Media Network continues to develop and update it.  We are excited to be one of the first student papers in the country to change to the new system and to influence its development.  College Publisher 5 will help make the site more user-friendly and manageable which will allow us to focus on designing a new and improved site.

We know the site may not seem very user-friendly at the moment.  We're rebuilding the site from the ground up and that will take time.  In addition to bringing over the features that were on the old site we will be designing new pages and customizing the site.  Bear with us as we create a site that is not just as good as our old--but better.

If you have questions concerns or suggestions you can reach me at willr1 (at) email.unc.edu.