A volunteer firefighter doles out fire safety tips

I would like to express my appreciation to the individuals who recently traveled to Washington D.C. to raise awareness about fire safety. As a volunteer firefighter in my hometown I feel that fire safety is not well-addressed for students residing on campus. Following a few basic tips can help decrease the risk of fires:

- Unplug items with a heating surface after each use and do not leave them unattended. This includes curling irons hair straighteners irons and coffee pots.

- Never leave the kitchen with the stove or oven on. Always double-check that you have turned everything off when you leave.

- Make sure there is always a clear path to your doorway. Furniture too close to the door or cords and cables across your path could turn into a dangerous obstacle.

- It is very tempting but do not take the elevator. If it gets stuck that is one more thing the firefighters have to do.

- Plug in air fresheners run hot and often catch fire. You are better off with an aerosol or a battery-operated room deodorizer.

- Keep your keys cell phone One Card and wallet in the same place where you can grab them quickly as you leave. If you are going to save anything that should be it.

- Finally familiarize yourself with the emergency plan on the back of your door. It has basic instructions that could save your life.

K. Elaine Hooper

Junior

Anthropology

Volunteer Firefighter SVFD