Monday August 8th

An appeal to parkers: Parkers must realize that unpaid tickets only worsen campus parking problems

I have a broken foot. I'm an expecting mother. It was an emergency.

Most likely you're lying.

But that's what you tell the Department of Public Safety to try to get out of your parking tickets.

And you're not the only one.

About 40 percent of the 200000 parking citations issued by DPS from Jan. 1 2003 to Nov. 3 2006 were eliminated by appeals.

The status quo for parking conditions and enforcement on campus is not sustainable on any level. We know that campus is short on parking but there's another lesser known aspect of the parking problem.

Excessive unpaid parking tickets put a financial strain on DPS that causes dreadful parking implications.

DPS should consider implementing stricter fines and a more rigid appeals system for tickets.

Students and faculty can do their part to cut down on parking demand by taking advantage of the efficient and accessible Chapel Hill and campus transit options. The best way to solve the parking problem would be to make it obsolete.

N.C. courts have ruled that universities only keep 10 percent of the revenue collected from parking fines.

The rest goes to the N.C. Office of State Budget and Management for technology in K-12 schools.

Without the financing of parking fines UNC has to spend its own money to pay for parking enforcement and for the appeals process.

And those who are legally paying for parking end up being the ones subsidizing the citation program.

Having to pay for both the appeals process and enforcement means DPS can't direct its resources towards other things like building more parking.

So fudging the appeals process only contributes to the larger parking problem.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022