Asbestos one of Morrison's 'several unique features'

UNC's housing Web site defines Morrison" the newly renovated South Campus dorm" as a ""vibrant"" exciting place to live"" and it goes on to list ""several unique features"" that Morrison has that give it an edge over the other dorms on campus.

Unfortunately" UNC forgot to add asbestos to the list of unique characteristics.

It's incredibly reassuring to know that after living in a Morrison super suite for a year and then recontracting and living in that same room this year that the room I have been living in contains asbestos.

Morrison residents received a memo from our community director on Sept. 4 alerting us that our walls contain asbestos and that we can avoid associated health risks by not scraping hitting or taping the walls.

Maybe this would have been useful information to have before residents rearranged their furniture applied posters and various other items to our walls" and decided to pay the extra money that it costs to live in this allegedly ""renovated"" building.

If this is the standard of living that UNC students can expect after a two-year renovation" I don't want to begin to think about the health risks involved with living in Hinton James.

Cassandra Ayars

Sophomore

Political Science