Big donations should be viewed with skepticism

Several people have been quick to applaud Dennis and Joan Gillings for their $50 million pledge to the School of Public Health but few have asked questions or raised concerns about the gift.

A pledge of this magnitude the biggest ever for UNC-CH deserves some skepticism.

We have been told the money will fund ground-breaking research visiting professorships and dissertation awards. Yet this information has come in the form of propaganda from the administration. Very little regarding the University's interactions with Gillings stipulations regarding the gift discussions about plans on how to spend the money" or even the decision to rename the school has been released.

These conversations occurred behind closed doors and among select individuals.

A letter to the editor of the Triangle Business Journal (May 30) in which former Chancellor Moeser called concerns about the gift ""conspiracy theories"" is typical of the administration. They prefer attempts to silence dissenting views and critical questions rather than engaging the campus community in productive and open discussions.

Just as experts have begun to blame the mortgage meltdown on conflicts of interest and a lack of concern for the public good" UNC administrators have shown more concern with landing multi-million dollar gifts then they have about maintaining the integrity of our institution.

Perhaps they will realize the importance of transparency public debate and oversight in maintaining academic freedom before they bankrupt Carolina's reputation and integrity.

Dustin Petersen

Graduate Student

Public Health