Camp Memorial Hall: CUAB should allow students to pitch tents camp out for concert tickets

Many students reading this editorial this morning will have woken up (presuming they went to sleep last night) in front of the Memorial Hall box office.

And they'll have spent their morning waiting for the box office to open at 10 a.m. to purchase tickets for the Ben Folds Five reunion concert.

This is the second major event that CUAB has brought to campus this semester. Andrew Bird will be coming to UNC Oct. 1.

Kudos to CUAB for scoring these major acts so early in the year. Keep up the good work.

But the University has not done its part to make the ticketing process for these big concerts is adequate.

University policy states that camping out for tickets of any kind is not allowed.

But DPS and Memorial Hall allowed students to spend the night in front of the box office provided they didn't bring tents. Tents are not allowed because of safety concerns.

It's great that students are allowed to line up whenever they want but the no tents policy needs to change. The University should help set up a tent village in the quad across from Memorial Hall for big concerts.

Campus officials could easily monitor and ensure the safety of a student tent village. They could further establish a set time for students to begin pitching tents and then enforce basic rules to make sure everything runs smoothly.

As is the camping/tenting policy is rather vague and is not really being enforced.

In 2007 when students camped out with tents for the solo Ben Folds concert rowdy drunkenness and disorderly behavior — or safety issues for that matter — weren't a problem. Instead there were drum circles jamming sessions on guitar movies and food — all staples of the college experience.

So as long as CUAB does such a great job bringing the bands the University should let us bring the tents.