Cartoon shows how little students value democracy

Sept. 12's editorial cartoon manifested how little some members of this campus value democracy. Student Congress held a forum Sept. 9 to answer objections to their decision to give $5000 to Carolina Students for Life to bring Justice for All a nationally traveling campaign featuring 18 foot pictures of aborted fetuses to campus. 

It conveniently arrives 10 days before the presidential election and obviously supports a particular candidate with a staunchly pro-life running mate. I felt the need to voice my objection not because someone with a different opinion received unfettered access to student fees but from ire at a subtle attempt to influence voting preferences.

Fortunately many on campus are above the sway of a sensationalist attempt to rile emotions in favor of a particular candidate.

Therefore this exhibit is unlikely to change anyone's mind on such a polarizing issue. These were the true considerations questioning the funding not personal differences in opinion.

Does this project truly serve the entire spectrum of the student body? Could it possibly target certain members of the student population in an aggressive hateful manner? I'll leave it for the student body to consider even if they are mocked for questioning authority.

May I also say the cartoonist's choice to use a white" ""alternative-looking"" male as the cartoon subject was a poor choice" as women were far more representative of those in objection to this funding.

So the moral is if your opposition legitimately threatens you drown the masses in misinformation!

Julie Etter

Junior

International Studies