Finding a suitable adviser a great challenge at UNC

After two years of Carolina classes projects midterms and exams I reflect on my greatest challenges thus far in my academic career: trying to find a suitable adviser and trying to officially submit a request to double major.

Academic advising is simply an embarrassment to UNC and has personally been an impediment in course selection.

Despite the fact that I have been on track for a JOMC and political science major since I was a freshman I have received three separate explanations for why I'm only listed as JOMC and how I can remedy the situation.

Lack of direction and communication among the different schools is almost comical.

At this point I can actually say that the Undergraduate Bulletin provided more direction than my old adviser who never remembered my name.

Thus I would like to propose a simple solution to remedy academic advising. Just get rid of it all together.

Use the money to purchase a PickAProf.com account for every UNC student.

This way" students can see the ""A's percentage"" for each professor" which classes are interesting which ones are a waste of time and who the best and worst professors are at UNC based on comprehensive rankings. At least under my system students wouldn't be lead astray something Academic Advising does on a daily basis.

Meredith Engelen

Junior

Journalism Political Science