Fines in store due to vandals

9-4-morrison-vandalism-ADP.w.jpg
Vandalism in Morrison Residence Hall" including damage to a wall of the game room has created the possibility of increased fees.

One of UNC's largest dormitories has been vandalized to the point that all of its residents could be fined.

During the past few weeks Morrison Residence Hall has reported damage to walls and ceilings stolen furniture and destroyed bulletin boards.

Community Director Josh Alexander who was unable to comment on the situation because of University policy sent out an e-mail to residents Tuesday warning them that action would be taken if the vandalism continued.

Kitchens floor lounges study rooms and game rooms will all be closed if the vandalism continues the e-mail states.

Damages highlighted in Alexander's e-mail include a stolen housing department folding table damaged and removed ceiling tiles and a large hole punched into the wall of the game room.

Rick Bradley assistant housing communications director said the cost to repair the vandalism will either be passed on to all Morrison residents or if caught to the individuals who were responsible.

Ultimately he said costs are reflected in housing price increases.

According to the housing department's community living standards policy cases where the individual responsible for vandalism cannot be identified will result in residents of the entire dorm floor wing or suite being held accountable.

In most of these situations vandals are not turned in by themselves or other students though police reports are often filed" Bradley said.

Sophomore resident Stefano Rivera said he was disappointed that his housing fees might be affected by the vandalism.

""Most of us feel like since we're not the ones doing the vandalism" we shouldn't have to pay for certain people doing things that are wrong" he said.

Rivera also said that he was surprised the vandalism began only a week and a half after school started.

Most campus vandalism is random, and many cases involve alcohol, Bradley said. But it's impossible to know whether or not it was involved in the week's events.

Sometimes there's a wave (of vandalism) in a particular building"" he said. It certainly makes the building less desirable and affects the residents that live there.""

This isn't the first time Morrison has suffered from vandalism.

Last year" a couch in Morrison's 10th floor lobby was vandalized. Each resident on the floor was billed $4.51 to their student account to repair the damages.

While Bradley said the hole punched in the game room of Morrison was a more extreme level of vandalism he said the bulletin board destruction and other incidents are typical.

Rivera living in a newly renovated eighth-floor super suite" said he hasn't noticed the vandalism other than in Alexander's e-mail.

""I think (Morrison) is still fine"" he said. The vandalism hasn't been too extreme.""