No protest policy needed: More protesting restrictions would compromise rights

UNC has a responsibility to its students to protect the right to protest and should not create a protesting policy.

In the wake of the arrests of five protesters in the South Building the University is re-examining the policies surrounding the ability of students to protest on campus.

There is no policy that specifically defines the role of the University in protests or demonstrations. As long as a protest does not violate any law or policy already in place the protest is free to take place.

A University policy on protests and demonstrations would inherently infringe upon the freedoms and rights that every person is entitled to. Policies and laws already exist to protect the University properly so any additional limitations are extraneous.

The current guideline on protests is the way that campus demonstrations should work.

While ensuring the safety of all students and faculty on campus UNC has a responsibility to support the freedom of any group to protest.

No options have been announced publicly but the University wants to address the issue of protesting in a clear and coherent manner.

Similarly the Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor is compiling student feedback to provide representative recommendations to regulate protests on campus.

While protesters are not above the law any further limitations on the freedom to protest seem unwarranted and unnecessary.

The University should clearly state that it will not create any policy that infringes upon the liberty of students to protest.