Occaneechi Tribe strives for preservation

tribe
Ernie Dollar, right, director of the Preservation Society of Chapel Hill, shows Forest Hazel, Chief of the Occaneechi tribe, artifacts he has found in the yard of the Horace Williams historical house. The artifacts included pieces of pottery, shards of spears and a porcelain doll's leg.

The Occaneechi Native Americans had always felt distanced from their Orange and Alamance County neighbors. They faced discrimination from whites and they were not accepted by the black community.

As a people they were racially and ethnically distinct yet there was no national identity for them to embrace.

Were it not for the efforts of tribal historian Forest Hazel the Occaneechi may never have gained that identity.

Most adult Occaneechi grew up without any sense of cultural belonging but starting in 1984 Hazel and others began researching the history of the tribe and the community began to lobby for state recognition.

The Occaneechi Tribe which is made up of about 800 individuals is the smallest N.C.-recognized Native American tribe.

Hazel gave a presentation about the tribe Wednesday at the Preservation Society of Chapel Hill's Lunchbox Lecture.

Ernest Dollar executive director of the Preservation Society" said that the lectures feature experts on a wide variety of historical topics. This variety aims to draw a greater number of people to the lectures and to become involved with the Preservation Society.

""The Preservation Society is the one organization that really tries to save those things which make Chapel Hill special" he said.

Hazel said the Occaneechi are now looking to build a tribal center on 25 acres of recently purchased land near the border of Orange and Alamance counties. The center will become the tribe's economic and cultural headquarters.

We'd like to see that be the source of economic development and also the focus area of the community" Hazel said.

The tribal center will be built near the historic Occaneechi community known as Little Texas. This area has been home to the tribe since the late 18th century.

The Occaneechi nation is not currently pursuing federal recognition, which can take decades, Hazel said.

The Preservation Society has been producing Lunchbox Lectures since July 2007. Past guests have included muralist Michael Brown and UNC Athletic Director Dick Baddour.

Sherril Koroluk, assistant to the director of the Preservation Society, is happy with the crowds that the Lunchbox Lectures attract.

It varies from university students to people who are walking in off the street" she said. Every time" we're surprised.""

The next Lunchbox Lecture will feature Tim McMillan"" who will give the lecture ""Black and Blue: African-Americans and the UNC Campus.""