Setting a higher standard

Vball
Senior captain Stephanie Jansma sets one of her hitters against Georgia Tech last season. The UNC volleyball team opens up this year?s ACC play against Maryland today at 7 p.m. in the Smith Center.

The first time the North Carolina coaching staff saw Stephanie Jansma play volleyball five years ago one thing was clear.

She had the athleticism and the dedication to become the Tar Heels' setter.

Jansma was excited by her first experience with North Carolina athletics and by the end of her stay she had donned a UNC T-shirt and stepped into the coaches' office to accept their scholarship offer.

Now North Carolina's captain and starting setter Jansma has a passion for the game that made an impression on head coach Joe Sagula" who considered her the program's top choice among incoming setters.

""When you think of volleyball at Carolina and this program in the last two years" you think of Steph Jansma Sagula said.

Sagula noted that Jansma is the first to play pick-up games during the school year and competitive beach tournaments during the summer.

And her passion is matched by her work ethic.

She's first in sprints" Sagula said. She'll run through a wall to get a ball.""

Sagula classified Jansma as a leader by example. And the senior is conscious of her role as captain.

""I think it's just how hard you work on the court and setting a high standard for everyone else to follow" she said.

Her sweat-soaked shirts are a testament to her effort on the court.

During preseason she always has to bring an extra jersey or an extra practice shirt" said undergraduate assistant coach Ashley Board, who played alongside Jansma for three years.

Board and Jansma, who served as co-captains last season, developed a strong friendship based on a mutual love of the game.

Right from the beginning" I think we both knew that we shared a really clear passion for the sport" Board said.

Both of us were willing to do whatever it took to be good.""

Each of the two friends described the other as ""goofy"" and said they connected right away.

But the Tar Heels didn't experience success on the court so quickly. When Jansma took over as starting setter her sophomore season" the young team lacked consistent go-to hitters.

Jansma won team Most Valuable Player honors" but UNC went 11-20 that year for its first losing season since 1997.

""I wasn't used to ever losing that much"" said Jansma, who started in the New York high school state championship match each of her four years.

It took an adjustment to be as competitive at the collegiate level.

It was a trying time for the program and for her" Sagula said.

But Steph always worked — the thing we counted on with her — she just worked hard" and she was diligent about her work ethic.""

As she and the rest of the team matured and developed" they managed to improve to 15-16 last year and finish in the top half of the conference.

This year expectations are higher. ACC coaches picked North Carolina to finish fourth in the conference and after knocking off No. 8 Minnesota on Saturday" the Tar Heels will begin ACC play today against Maryland with a winning record for the first time since 2003.

""This is the big year where they've paid their dues" Board said.

They've had some growing pains but this year I think it's all coming together" and they're getting what they deserve.""

Board is certainly pulling for Jansma and her teammates.

""Steph is a very hard-working person and deserves to have success because I think that she's waited a very long time for it.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.