Successful black students accused of 'acting white'

I began my primary education in small private schools in the South. Despite being one of the only people of color in the entire school" I wasn't singled out for striving to be the best because that was the standard for all students at these schools.

I switched to the public school system to start middle school and my world was turned upside down. Not only were there more students of color — there was an exponential increase in the number of black students.

The one thing that didn't change was the number of black students there were in my classes. It was still just me. My black peers teased me for ""acting white"" and having white friends as a result of my taking upper-level classes with them.

I began to resent being smart and I tried to distance myself from my white friends when I could.

I tried to hang out with the black students who would talk to me and try to prove to the others that I was ""black enough."" Here at UNC" a number of my black peers have shared very similar stories about their journeys to this University. Going on through high school and now to college" I'm still teased about my ""whiteness"" but not nearly as much. Ironically" I don't know whether I should be happy or sad.

The number of people who tease me has decreased simultaneously with the number of my black peers.

— Kristin Hill

Senior

Journalism