During World War II an American serviceman exchanged a series of letters with his wife. The letters are rich in details pertaining to both field conditions and affairs on the home front.

And of course they are also highly personal.

These letters and many more" were included in ""War Bonds: The Songs and Letters of World War II"" a play performed at The ArtsCenter in Carrboro on Friday.

In addition to the letters, the play featured 22 popular songs from World War II era America.

Audience members Bob Whyte and his wife, Chris, were interested in the show's musical aspect.  Bob Whyte, 71, feels a special affinity for the popular music genres of the era.

I learned to play banjo in the '50s" Whyte said. That whole era from 1900 through World War II" it wasn't called the Golden Era for nothing.""

Hugh Kelley" a sixth grader from Chapel Hill" came to see the play with two of his friends. This was their first exposure to many of the songs in the program.

""It was an interesting way of telling about the war"" he said.

The play was arranged and performed by Serena Ebhardt and David zum Brunnen, two UNC graduates who married in the Forest Theatre in 1988 and founded EbzB Productions, a professional touring theater.

Chester zum Brunnen, David's father, served in Germany during World War II. The correspondence from his years as a soldier helped inspire the dramatists to arrange the play.

We realized that Chester's letters interspersed with the songs in chronological order would tell a very personal story of the war"" Ebhardt said in an e-mail.

We expanded that idea to include letters and memories from other relatives and family friends who had also served in World War II.""

The collection of letters reflects the diversity of American wartime experiences.

Letters from commanders like Chester Nimitz and Dwight Eisenhower were read alongside those of enlisted men" female officers" minority servicemen and fresh recruits.

The songs reflected America's national attitude as it progressed from the end of the Great Depression to victory in 1945. ""One Meatball"" deals with poverty"" ""Rosie the Riveter"" with the experience of female factory workers.

Brooke Kesterson" director of children's and family programs at The ArtsCenter said she appreciated the unique way in which the show examined the war's history.

She also said the show was relevant to modern times" considering current global affairs.

""It's an interesting way of looking back on this historical moment"" Kesterson said. I felt this production was very pertinent in terms of war times.""