Tom Allin knew since this summer that The Avett Brothers were going to be this year's first Homecoming act.

But the trio told the Carolina Union Activities Board president they would only come on one condition: The show had to be students only.

Well they got their wish.

Now Seth and Scott Avett along with their stand-up bassist Bob Crawford are set to take the Memorial Hall stage Sunday in front of 1432 UNC students.

The Homecoming performance is a joint effort between CUAB" the Carolina Athletic Association and Student Congress.

""This weekend feels like such a homecoming for us as well"" said Seth Avett, the band's guitarist. We're excited about doing a show for the students.""

Allin said The Avett Brothers were chosen as the Homecoming act because of their ability to use their heartfelt"" meaningful songs to connect with audiences.

""I've never seen a band give so much in every single concert that they play" Allin said.

And Seth Avett said he doesn't expect the energy in this show to be any different from others.

He said the band brings the same intensity to an intimate show as they do to a show at the largest venue they've ever played.

Each night is different. Every single night has its own personality its own memories its own spontaneity" Seth Avett said. I'm sure this one will be no different.""

The Avett Brothers are North Carolina natives" currently residing in Concord.

Avett said living in a small town in North Carolina has created a stability that is reflected in the band's music.

Their newest album" ""The Second Gleam"" was ranked 10th on the Billboard Top Independent Albums chart in August.

Though they've gained national attention, the band has been playing at local venues like Cat's Cradle, The Cave and Local 506 for about eight years.

The energy is just so on the forefront and so everywhere" Seth Avett said. As soon as you pull into town" you can just feel the energy.""

Adele Ricciardi" CUAB music committee chairwoman" said the band helps contribute to the type of diversity CUAB wants to bring this year.

""We at CUAB do music nonstop and we kind of look for artists that are upcoming"" she said.

Allin said The Avett Brothers also have a better name recognition than last year's Homecoming act, Augustana.

It's kind of a name that you can just say and people can list off a number of their songs" he said. They're a style of music that doesn't come to UNC often" so I was excited when they did.""

Seth Avett said the excitement" energy and electricity that a group of college students brings is priceless.

And because of this he said" the group is just as excited to come to Chapel Hill as UNC students are to see The Avett Brothers perform.

""It's always a pleasure to be there"" Seth Avett said.

There's anticipation on both sides.""

ATTEND THE CONCERT
Time: 8 p.m. Sunday
Location: Memorial Hall
Cost: $15
Info: www.unc.edu/cuab

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.