Blog increases accessibility: Chancellor Thorp offers a glimpse into his routine and adventures

It seems everybody has a blog these days. Who's next  Chancellor Holden Thorp?

Well yes.

Thorp has begun typing away at his computer to give us updates about his daily activities along with pictures.

And yes" he writes his own entries.

We applaud Thorp's decision to take another step toward increasing accessibility.

His blog contains everything from information about UNC's involvement in protecting the state's coast to a high school picture of Thorp with huge glasses and holding a Rubik's Cube.

The blog is a great way for Thorp to directly update the University community about what he's doing on the job.

It is easier for students to browse through his blog updates than search through DTH archives or attend every public meeting Thorp is involved with.

Thorp writes that the purpose of the blog is to share ""thoughts"" ideas and news about how the University is fulfilling its commitment to our students and to our state.""

But more importantly" he writes" ""I welcome your comments.""

Anyone can read and respond to Thorp's posts. So far" he has already received appreciative comments but also challenges and proposals.

But he hasn't received enough of them.

Thorp has shown a willingness to be open and receive comments and criticism.

Students should take part in the discussion or at the very least pay attention to what Thorp is doing.

Students who don't will miss out on information about Thorp's recruitment attempts his belief about what sets UNC students apart and even his appreciation for people who wear periodic table socks.

Of course not everything can be covered in the blog — students will have to do their own digging if they want to get the full story.

And maintaining a blog does not immunize Thorp from criticism of controversial measures taken by the administration.

But it's a step in the right direction in promoting transparency.

You can access the blog at holden.unc.edu.

Comment.

It's your University your chancellor your chance to be heard.  Thorp is listening. Or reading at least.