Thursday September 29th

Congress right to wait: Judgment deferred until ethics committee can review

Last night's Student Congress meeting was full of anticipation complexity and confusion.

There were questions raised about a funding request presented by Shaniqua McClendon acting as treasurer for Concept of Colors a campus modeling troupe.

Instead of immediately passing judgement Congress was correct in deferring the matter to the ethics committee for further investigation because the details of this case are still murky.

However during the meeting it appeared that some members of Congress had an ax to grind.

It seemed as if some representatives wanted to make an example of Concept of Colors to dissuade other student groups from inflating their funding requests to Congress.

There were also times in which McClendon's academic integrity was called into question" which had no bearing on the accuracy of her financial proposal and should not have been part of the public debate.

Much of the ""evidence"" presented was simply hearsay from students who requested to remain anonymous in their accusations.

Luckily" cooler heads prevailed and the matter was deferred to the ethics committee for further investigation.

While there are certainly many unanswered questions and a complex narrative to untangle Congress showed great restraint in postponing any funding decision until a thorough inquiry can be completed.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022