DTH Student Congress both need a reality check

An ethics inquiry? A front page news story? Really?

Let's assume Shaniqua McClendon who it seems just misrepresented the situation for a ridiculous assignment did in fact embellish her claim before Student Congress.

Am I really supposed to think she did something wrong?

Have we forgotten that Congress is the same organization that shelled out $5000 for photos of fetuses and then in reaction to public criticism actually blamed the student body for not magically discerning the confusing and under-publicized allocation system?

One year Student Congress decided to halve all budgets across the board without paying much attention to the varied budget sizes and the needs of different groups. I had to argue for 15 minutes over whether our group needed $50 to replace bins that were falling apart.

So when I hear that someone embellished the truth to pay for a creative and popular fashion show I am more inclined to question the absurd system created by Student Congress than the ethics of respected student leaders.

The message of Student Congress is: If you want any money you have to play our game. Then when one plays it they end up on the front page of the DTH. Student Congress and the DTH both need a reality check.

Rachel Craft

Senior

Spanish International Studies