McCrory for governor: Charlotte mayor would bring fresh and innovative leadership to Raleigh

The Daily Tar Heel's editorial board will publish election endorsements every day leading up to Election Day on Nov. 4. The races this board will weigh in on in addition to today's endorsement for N.C. governor are  U.S. Senate N.C. Senate District 23 U.S. House of Representatives N.C. District 4 County Commissioner and U.S. president. But it's important to note that these are not the only choices you'll have to make in the election booth this year. With a presidential race this year capturing attention and participation in a way the nation hasn't seen in some time record numbers are registering to vote and flocking to the polls. And that's great. But make sure that before you go you know who else will be on the ballot and can make informed decisions about state and local races. Visit dailytarheel.com/election08 for more information if you're voting early or wait for the paper's comprehensive voter guide on Election Day. And most importantly whomever you choose just go vote.

In a race that continues to be among the tightest in the state Pat McCrory is the clear choice for governor.

More important than specific policy is the opportunity that McCrory a Republican has to change how politics operates in North Carolina.

And he has the vision and experience North Carolina needs to address the state's challenges as it experiences massive growth.

We believe that McCrory can take his successful approach to governing Charlotte and apply it to the entire state.

Serving since 1995 as the popular mayor of Charlotte — where Democrats and Independents outnumber Republicans three to one — McCrory has shown the ability to shore up bipartisan support. And he clearly has the experience necessary to take the state's top job.

McCrory has a long-range vision for a sustainably expanding the transportation infrastructure in the state including the use of light-rail and clean energy buses.

He oversaw smart growth in Charlotte and was pivotal in bringing light-rail to Charlotte — the only city in the state that has developed a light-rail system.

McCrory is also a strong proponent of investing in green energy technology which in turn will create new jobs.

His opponent Democratic Lt. Gov. Bev Perdue has attempted to brand herself as an enemy of the status quo although she is anything but.

She has served for the past eight years as lieutenant governor and is a product of the state's Democratic establishment machine.

It's clearly time for some fresh leadership and political insider Perdue could not offer it.

McCrory would be a welcome change for Raleigh and he has the commitment to end the political cronyism that has permeated Raleigh for so long.

Additionally Perdue and her Democratic counterparts' lack of transparency is troubling.

Although both candidates have made transparency a cornerstone of their candidacies Perdue's actual record on the issue is scant whereas McCrory has demonstrated openness during his time as mayor.

This issue is extremely important especially because of the destruction of e-mails relating to the mental health system debacle under Gov. Mike Easley.

Perdue and McCrory share many policy positions including some we disagree with.

Both support the 287 (g) program a controversial initiative that authorizes local law enforcement to identify and detain immigration offenders.

And neither are particularly progressive on abortion or gay rights either.

Yet McCrory for the most part is a moderate Republican who has proved he can garner bipartisan support.

McCrory's candidacy represents a fundamental change that is desperately needed in an increasingly corrupt and unresponsive Raleigh. His administration would bring a political balance to Raleigh that has long been absent.

We strongly endorse Pat McCrory for governor.