New station has potential: Additional Amtrak station in Hillsborough would be bene_¶ cial

Students' needs should be kept in mind when constructing the much-anticipated Hillsborough Amtrak station.

The Amtrak station has great potential as a mode of transportation in N.C. and a station in Hillsborough would be a great addition to the area for residents and UNC students.

There are a large number of UNC students who drive home on the weekends and many others who might want to travel but are unable to do so because of financial constraints.

Amtrak could be an excellent gas- and time-saving solution for these students.

However there are a few characteristics the designers should include to make the proposed Amtrak station as effective as possible.

First a station in Hillsborough would need an ample number of bus lines running to and from it.

For students living on campus without access to an automobile this would be the most feasible way to travel to and from the station.

Secondly long-term parking should be available to those who choose to drive to the station.

Ample parking is not available at some Amtrak stations which can act as a deterrent for those wishing to use a rail system.

Students and commuters aren't the only ones who would benefit from an additional Amtrak stop — the station has its environmental and economic perks as well.

Mass transportation options like Amtrak would help reduce carbon emissions and pollution in the Hillsborough area.

In addition as gas prices continue to rise commuting by train could be a more cost-effective mode of transportation for many in the Hillsborough area.

By adding an Amtrak Hillsborough station residents and UNC students would be able to take advantage of an economic and environmentally friendly transportation option.

If Amtrak is going to be successful in N.C. it needs to ensure that its stations are conveniently located throughout the state and are easily accessed by all members of the community including college students.

A Hillsborough station would be a step in the right direction.