Raynor's big project: SBP does well in speaking for students embarking on audit to find solutions

J.J. Raynor has taken on a project that seemed too big even for the student body president.

She and Trustee John Ellison have embarked on an ambitious campuswide effort to review the major issues the University faces and then find solutions. A primary goal seems to be to talk to as many people as possible.

Turns out with Raynor that's a lot of people.

Since August she and Ellison have met with and gathered feedback from more than 130 faculty members" administrators and staff. And they're just getting started.

Raynor said in an e-mail that she's been giving the project most of her time as SBP.

""I think this is one way students can have lasting impact on where this University goes in the future.""

We agree. The University as an institution should never become complacent. We're delighted that a serious effort is being made to examine where UNC stands and how it might improve. We're even more excited that such an effort is being led by a student determined to reflect our interests.

Raynor promised the board of trustees that October would be ""blitz month"" for the project — currently dubbed the ""Carolina — Best Place to Teach"" Learn and Discover Committee."" She and Ellison are planning to meet with students next to get their input on how UNC can improve.

A Web site will go live soon with a forum for submitting ideas. Raynor also plans to post notes from previous meetings to the site. For now" send bettercarolina@gmail.com an e-mail with your ideas.

Raynor and Ellison will make a recommendation to the rest of the trustees in May with three concrete ideas for how to tackle UNC's greatest problems.

In this project in private conversations and in meetings with University VIPs Raynor has expressed a genuine desire to speak for students.

Both Raynor and Ellison should be commended for undertaking this ambitious project.