Refusal to run column has undermined reputation

Some Chapel Hill residents may not be aware that Danny Randolph a former columnist for The Daily Tar Heel" wrote a column for the paper entitled ""Beware the Chapel Hill Bubble"" discussing the faltering economy and the bubble The Daily Tar Heel creates by not mentioning such issues.

Mr. Randolph's column was denied by the editor" and he resigned.

I am quite frankly extremely disappointed at your decision not to publish Mr. Randolph's column.

Mr. Randolph raises an excellent point one that has frustrated me many times with The Daily Tar Heel that being the lack of national news coverage even when it has extensive local consequences.

I understand that The Daily Tar Heel is a local paper intended to deal with local issues but surely an event with astounding implications for every citizen especially those about to enter the job market as we are deserves mention in the paper.

The fact that two dead deer is front-page news while our imploding economy (which affects the entire Chapel Hill community) is barely mentioned worries me.

Regardless of what The Daily Tar Heel chooses to cover I am angered that you refused to publish a legitimate presentation of an issue Chapel Hill residents should be aware of.

Mr. Randolph eloquently reminded Chapel Hill to keep in mind its position in this world something that needs reiterating. It was also an opinion column thereby not representative of the views of The Daily Tar Heel.

By refusing to publish this column you have undermined your position as a reputable paper to me and have brought to light the serious lack of coverage of national issues with local impact.

I would very much like to see a letter from the editor explaining her decision" and the original ""Beware the Chapel Hill Bubble"" column published in The Daily Tar Heel this week.

Keith Grose

Sophomore

Mathematics/Economics