Securexam not perfect blue books still useful

I have used both blue books and my laptop during exams taken at UNC and both have their proper place as well as their limitations.

Using a laptop to take an essay exam in an English literature course is helpful for both professors and students.

Unfortunately Securexam cannot be used on older laptops and not everyone can afford to buy a new $2000 laptop every other year or so to keep up with the Securexam program requirements so flexibility is necessary.

I also find lugging my laptop to class in order to take an exam a burden — a blue book weighs only a few ounces while a laptop weighs several pounds.

Moreover for an exam in a foreign language course writing out answers in longhand is generally superior to typing answers because the process of forming the letters and words is part of the learning experience.

I do not think Securexam would be helpful in a Greek or Latin course (or for Japanese Chinese or Arabic either) and I hope the Department of Classics never has to require the use of Securexam for exams in the classical language courses.

Blue books and roller ball pens may be an improvement over waxen tablet and stylus but computer technology does not necessarily offer a better means of testing a student's knowledge.

Different strokes are appropriate for different folks.

Sara Malone
Continuing Studies (Classics)
Department of Medicine