Sports briefs for October 27

Field Hockey

COLLEGE PARK Md. — The North Carolina field hockey team saw the second-worst loss in UNC history Saturday falling 7-0 to No. 1 Maryland in a conference battle at the Terrapins' Field Hockey &?Lacrosse Complex.

The fifth-ranked Tar Heels dropped to 12-4 on the season and 3-2 in ACC play" and the Terrapins became 15-2 overall and locked up the regular-season ACC title with a 4-1 mark.

""I congratulate Maryland for playing so well"" UNC coach Karen Shelton said.

UNC managed just five shots in the game (and only one in the first half) to the Terrapins' 22.

Men's Soccer

CLEMSON, S.C. — Clemson ended No. 7 North Carolina's three-match winning streak Saturday, defeating the Tar Heels 3-2 in double overtime.

Clemson improved to 5-7-2 and 3-3-1 on the season as UNC fell to 11-3-1 and 3-3-0 on the year.

UNC was leading 1-0 at the half and then again 2-1 until Clemson's equalizer in the 78th minute, and the game wasn't decided until Clemson's Nathan Thornton's second goal of the game in the 108th minute.

The Tar Heels close out their home schedule Saturday against Wake Forest, the No. 1 team in the country.

Women's Tennis

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — North Carolina's Sanaz Marand and Sophie Grabinski won two matches Sunday to advance to the doubles final at the Wilson/ITA Southeast Regionals.

Marand and Grabinski now have reached the title match at the event for two straight seasons.

The Tar Heel duo will face conference rivals Berkeley Brock and Lenka Hojckov of N.C. State in Monday's final matchup.

The winner of that match will receive an automatic bid to the ITA National Indoor Championships on Nov. 6-9 in Charlottesville, Va.

Fencing

The North Carolina fencing team hosted its first home meet since 2004 on Sunday and ended the day with wins in each of its eight meets. 

The men's team had five meets and the women had three at the 2008 Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Fencing Association C"" Dual Meets Round Robin"" held at Fetzer Gym.

""For early season" we did phenomenally UNC coach Ron Miller said. In terms of where we need to be for postseason" we made a good start."" 

The UNC men's sabre team dominated throughout the day" losing no more than two bouts of the nine in any meet.

Women's Soccer

CHARLOTTESVILLE Va. — In its final regular-season road game of the 2008 season the second-ranked North Carolina women's soccer team scored four goals in eight minutes in the second half to break open an evenly matched first half en route to a 5-1 victory at No. 7 Virginia.

The Tar Heels' three starting strikers — junior Casey Nogueira sophomore Jessica McDonald and freshman Courtney Jones — led the Tar Heels offensively with 12 points combined.

The Tar Heel defense kept right up limiting Virginia to only four shots on the night.

Men's Basketball

ATLANTA —  At the men's basketball 2008 ACC Media Day" the ACC coaches discussed working with the NCAA to limit the amount of time college athletes have to declare for the NBA after the championships.

UNC coach Roy Williams has said the time is unreasonable and causes stress for programs trying to plan for the next season.

""I think it's good" Williams said Sunday. The time period that we have is way way" way too long. So I'm hoping that the NBA will join with us and figure out a way to make it a little bit better.""