Sur_¶ n' the Web with UNC's new tailback

draugntojesus
Sophomore Shaun Draughn has found both the end zone and lots of friend requests in his first year at running back.

Shaun Draughn switched positions from safety to running back this year. He's rushed for nearly 100 yards and a touchdown backing up Greg Little.

Assistant SportSaturday Editor David Reynolds caught up with the sophomore after practice one day to talk message boards music UNC coaches and Facebook.

David Reynolds: Do you read message boards?

Shaun Draughn: Yeah I read them; I read them a lot. Before I got here my mom and dad got a membership to Inside Carolina so I read a lot of stuff the fans say.

DR: Is anything just blatantly false about you on there?

SD: Yeah about the first game and the penalty I had. Some dude said I was punching the dude in the face. That was completely false.

DR: Is there anything about you that people should know that they probably don't?

SD: I can sing and I play guitar.

DR: What do you like to sing?

SD: I like gospel music R&B.; I like rap too but I'm more of an R&B; type guy.

DR: How long have you been playing guitar?

SD: For four or five years now.

DR: What your favorite type of music to listen to before games?

SD: I listen to gospel music before games and like hype music like Pastor Troy and Lil John and the Eastside Boyz — kind of hype music to get you right before the games.

DR: Is there any locker room hierarchy in terms of music listening in the locker room?

SD: No I mean everybody has their own. They purposely didn't install a stereo system for everybody to listen to because everyone has their own choices about what they want to listen to. I think everybody listens to rap even the country people that like country I think they listen to rap.

DR: Is there anything funny the coaches do at practice?

SD: They used to play music while we were warming up and Coach (Charlie) Williams would always to cut a step and start dancing then KB [Kendrick Burney] would start messing with him and say he's too old to be dancing and might pull something. We've got the rookie stuff and Greg Little was imitating Coach Davis because when the play's going on he's always all bent over wiping his face and making funny faces and stuff.

DR: How many Facebook friend requests do you get a day?

SD: A day I probably have somewhere from seven to 10 and after gamedays it's like 15 new ones. It gets crazy out there. And now that they've got the Facebook chat people just will be popping up and I don't even know who it is.

DR: How do you handle those Facebook chatters?

SD: I answer them but not in depth. Some people will be asking" ""You think you should be starting?"" or"" ""What do you think the team's going to be doing this year?'""and I don't entertain that. They tell me good game and I'll be like"" ""I appreciate it.""

DR: Do you have any favorite classes this year?

SD: Right now I'd have to say a women's studies class. We're in a gender communications class" and just seeing the turmoil between the men and women.